Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Ruben Carter Goes Out a Winner.

April 26, 2014 at 1:55 P.M. I am told that tomorrow's New York Times Magazine will feature an article that plagiarizes or paraphrases my essay "Ape and Essence" which was published at this blog, December 5, 2013, under copyright protection.

Evidently, my text is not mentioned in the Times. It is further suggested that my essay "Ape and Essence" may have been brought to the specific attention of persons at the "newspaper of record" who are certainly aware of journalistic ethics as well as scholarly obligations to acknowledge sources for ideas and analysis in written work.

I cannot say whether this allegation of theft is accurate because I have yet to read the forthcoming article. I will read and respond to such an article, if it appears. I must wonder whether the "real" author of that piece has read my writings, so as to be ethically obligated to acknowledge the fact if my ideas or words are "borrowed" or used at all. "A.O. Scott"? "Jennifer Shuessler"? Jill Abramson?

Many persons are stolen from in our world. No ruling class that bases its privileges on theft or domination will endure the passage of time. (Please compare "What is it like to be plagiarized?" with "'Brideshead Revisited': A Movie Review" then "Thomas Nagel's Guilt by Association" and "New Jersey Lawyers and Judges Pay Themselves OT.") 

April 24, 2014 at 1:22 P.M. Google Chrome could not be accessed from NYPL, Morningside Heights, Computer #07. I have reached this computer the old fashioned way. I was denied the ability to access the Internet from my home yesterday. No member of my family could reach the Internet. I do not know whether I will be able to return to this blog, make corrections, or write additional essays. I will certainly try to do so. 

If two days pass without alteration at these blogs, it means that I am prevented from writing against my will. I do not know when (or if) my home access to the Internet will be restored for myself or the members of my family. I cannot say whether I will suffer serious injury or if I will be killed. I ignore all threats. I will continue to insist for as long as I live on receiving the truth from New Jersey. I will try to meet with Marilyn Straus to determine her situation and condition. ("Marilyn Straus Was Right!") 

My home telephone connection has been blocked for 24 hours, presumably as part of the denial of Internet service or an "accident." I do not believe that such crimes could continue to be committed against me and others without the cooperation of government agencies in New Jersey and, perhaps, elsewhere.

April 23, 2014 at  3:27 P.M. I am told that the OAE and other Trenton officials have taken to posting insults and allegations concerning my "ethics" as determined by the DRB or some other acronym in New Jersey government. 

All personal insults of me seem pointless at this stage of my adventure in New Jersey law. I welcome such smears as being helpful in drawing attention to the issues raised in these blogs concerning New Jersey's legal ethics. You decide who is ethical. ("New Jersey's Supreme Court Implosion" and "New Jersey's Corrupt Judiciary" and "New Jersey Lawyers' Ethics Farce" and "Edward M. De Sear, Esq. and New Jersey's Filth.") 

Selwyn Roab, "Ruben (Hurricane) Carter, Twice Wrongly Convicted of Murder, Dies at 76," The New York Times, April 21, 2014, p. A22.

William C. Rhoden, "A Fighter Who Stood His Ground," The New York Times, April 21, 2014, p. D4.

Dave D'Alessandro, "His Battle Over, Fight Lives On," The Star Ledger, April 21, 2014, p. 1.

Stephanie Clifford, "Even With Dying Boxer's Appeal, Tough Road Ahead for a Convicted Man," The New York Times, April 22, 2014, p. A22. (Ruben Carter's final days were spent fighting for the release of yet another falsely convicted African-American prisoner.)

Richard Cowen, "'Hurricane' Carter Loses His Final Bout: Paterson boxer fought years to clear name and died a free man," The Record, April 22, 2014, p. A-1. 

Recent years have seen the emergence of racism from some surprising quarters, including from ethnic and religious groups who should know better than to perpetuate racist stereotypes and hateful bigotry. ("Drawing Room Comedy: A Philosophical Essay in the Form of a Film Script.")

"Richard Cowen" -- a fictitious name? -- appears to be part of what I am fighting against in New Jersey. I am confident that the same was true for Ruben Carter. Mr. Carter fought against what this so-called "article" by Richard Cowen represents in New Jersey and throughout the world -- the arrogance of racist power used to enslave people by those who deem themselves "superior" to others based on race or religion. ("Terry Tuchin, Diana Lisa Riccioli, and New Jersey's Agency of Torture" and "Psychological Torture in the American Legal System.")

I am not overly troubled by New Jersey's posting of the usual lies and slanders, or insults, whether from the OAE or DRB, AG or Supreme Court in Trenton. In fact, anything that brings attention to my efforts at these blogs -- including slanders -- now helps in my quest for the truth.

Readers from all over the world have made their own determinations as to whether I am telling the truth or concerning my ethics as compared with the ethics of New Jersey's legal establishment. ("John McGill, Esq., the OAE, and New Jersey Corruption" and "New Jersey's 'Ethical' Legal System.")

Perhaps "Terry Tuchin's" real name is "Richard Cowen"? (Again: "Terry Tuchin, Diana Lisa Riccioli, and New Jersey's Agency of Torture.") 

To take a cheap shot at a civil rights hero, Ruben Carter -- whose achievement outside the ring in demonstrating the pervasive corruption and racism of New Jersey's befouled legal system is a far greater accomplishment than even "Hurricane" Carter's prowess in the boxing ring -- strikes me as evil. ("Have you no shame, Mr. Rabner?" and "David Samson is On the Tit" then "New Jersey Rabbi Charged With Child Molesting" and "44 Persons Arrested in Latest N.J. Corruption Sting.")

Mr. Carter did not "lose" his final fight. Mr. Carter won the fight that was his life by k.o. even as New Jersey's legal system was, and remains, the dismal loser in yet another sordid affair. 

No matter what New Jersey chooses to cover-up and lie about in my life, I will win my struggle by simply continuing to fight for the truth as long as I live. ("New Jersey's Judges Disgrace America" and "New Jersey's Supreme Court Implosion.")

The struggle by Ruben Carter was not about clearing his name, a name that remains unsullied by the insults and absurd accusations (similar to those made against me and often far WORSE) by many of the very same officials I deal with every day. ("Justice For Mumia Abu-Jamal.")

Mr. Carter not only died a free man, he lived each day as a free man, demanding the respect and dignity to which he and each of us is entitled, but he also embodied and defined what is meant by a free person:

"After learning of Carter's death, I reread [a] 1974 article [dealing with his case] and was struck by much of what Carter said, about individuality and about preserving one's dignity when confronted by those trying to take it away. Asked about the effectiveness of prisons, Carter said: 'Throwing people in jail and painting the windows black is not a solution. It is the problem.' ..."

This insight led to an important realization:

" ... While he was incarcerated, Carter refused to perform any type of prison work. He refused to wear prison clothing. He refused to submit to the normal prison routine."

I refuse to "wear" New Jersey's lies. I cannot accept New Jersey's fraudulent and self-serving efforts to evade responsibility for civil and criminal wrongs committed in my matters that are evident to attorneys from America and many other countries. ("Have you no shame, Mr. Rabner?" and "Jay Romano and Conduct Unbecoming to the Judiciary in New Jersey.")

The "feces" that clings to New Jersey's institutions -- and the stench associated with it -- belongs and remains entirely with lawyers, judges, and other officials in Trenton still posting lies about me as they try to silence me while preventing readers from accessing my texts. ("New Jersey's Office of Attorney Ethics" and "New Jersey's Feces-Covered Supreme Court.")

Mr. Carter's final conclusion has become one of my guiding principles in life:

" ... 'You have to determine which way you allow these people to treat you.'" (Times, p. D4.)

"Richard Cowen" -- or whoever wrote the headline in The Record under this byline -- must await a man's death to insult him in an underhanded and snide way, as the ultimate example of a behind the back attack, without fear of a response from the victim of this vicious comment. There will be no shortage of friends of Ruben Carter to answer this sort of despicable and shocking insult on his behalf.

To suggest that "John Artis was at Carter's bedside" is to imply that one (or both) men were homosexual. I do not believe such a suggestion is accurate or appropriate at this stage in their story of New Jersey's criminality. ("Albert Florence and New Jersey's Racism.")

At least in the boxing ring, your opponent faces you with courage and sincerity, rather than attacking you from behind your back while smiling to your face. Alex Booth? ("New Jersey's Politically-Connected Lawyers On the Tit" and "An Open Letter to My Torturers in New Jersey, Terry Tuchin and Diana Lisa Riccioli.") 

Mr. Carter was one more victim of America's notorious racism, but he was also damaged by the most corrupt, mafia-saturated, incompetent legal system anywhere in the United States, perhaps one of the worst court systems in the world. 

New Jersey's bemerded legal processes function well below the level of many Third World countries and can only be described as a disgrace to human decency. ("New Jersey is the Home of the Living Dead" and "Law and Ethics in the Soprano State" then "New Jersey is the Home of Child Molesters" and "New Jersey's Legal System is a Whore House.")

What was taken from Mr. Carter was the life he should have led, a life of great athletic achievement as the middle weight champion he almost certainly would have become, an easy road as a broadcaster after retirement from the ring, money, fame. 

Ironically, life delivered the glittering prizes of "success" to Ruben Carter, anyway, with his triumph in a federal courtroom (which is only another kind of arena) came fame, wealth, even greater success that included Denzel Washington playing the "Hurricane" in a movie based on Ruben Carter's life. (Denzel would be perfect to play me in a movie, but only if they can't get Chris Rock.)

The difference is that the ultimate and well-earned "success" in Hurricane Carter's life was attained as an engaged intellectual, as expressed in the works of Jean-Paul Sartre (a philosopher Mr. Carter read and admired, as do I), as a crusader for the civil rights of all Americans, in opposition to racism, as a prison reformer shaming a failed legal system into implementing necessary improvements, and a great humanitarian whose suffering never became bitterness or indiscriminate hatred, but was transformed -- through a heroic example of transcendence (Dr. King) -- into compassion for others falsely convicted of crimes languishing in America's concentration camps.

Mr. Carter -- in accordance with Nietzsche's most gnomic utterance -- "became the man he was": 

"In the darkest hours, when his only reality was a life-sentence and a 5-by-7 cell, Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter studied Plato, George Gurdjieff, Viktor Frankl, ... Krishnamurti, and every criminal law book he could get his hands on."

As a result, Ruben Carter acquired ...

" ... 'All of the world's wisdom,' he later wrote, '(for) trying to find my spiritual path to freedom.' ..."

And like Nelson Mandela, he came to see:

"In the earliest days of a 19-year internment he endured for a murder conviction [unethical?] that was later overturned, he also wrote an eloquent autobiography that burst through the walls of Trenton State Prison and [obtained] the compassion of people throughout the world, including Muhammad Ali and Bob Dylan."

Finally,

"So when this former middleweight contender with an 8th-grade education and a truculent countenance died yesterday morning a free man at his home near Toronto, Carter could mostly be remembered as a self-made symbol of implacable resolve, one who authored his own quest for freedom and became [a symbol] for the way millions perceived racial justice in America." (The Star Ledger, p. 1, emphasis added.)